Goto

Collaborating Authors

 waymo


Nevada allows Uber, Tesla and Waymo to start paid robotaxi service

Engadget

You'll start seeing a lot more taxis in Las Vegas with no human driver behind the wheel over the coming year. The Nevada Transportation Authority has approved Tesla's, Waymo's and Uber's applications for an Autonomous Vehicle Network Company permit, which gives them the authority to offer paid rides in Clark County, including Las Vegas. Tesla investor Sawyer Merritt has reported that Nevada officials gave Tesla permission to deploy up to 5,000 robotaxis over the next 12 months after their August 20th meeting. The company's permit reportedly allows it to operate across the entire state, provided it notifies the agency that it's expanding its coverage. According to the Q&A with Tesla during the session, the company is working with law enforcement to shoot a five-minute step-by-step video first responders can follow for emergencies involving its autonomous vehicles.


Waymo Ojai vans are now available for all riders in three cities

Engadget

Waymo announced today that any riders can now be passengers in its Ojai model vehicles in Los Angeles, Phoenix and San Francisco. In a social media post, the company highlighted the spaciousness and backseat entertainment features in the driverless vans. The Google-owned brand began offering limited pickups with this purpose-built robotaxi in the same three cities earlier this year. This is the second Waymo expansion announced in the past week. Just days ago, the company said it had been granted permission to bring its driverless cars to the roads in Sacramento and San Diego.


Waymo receives permission to offer rides in Sacramento and San Diego

Engadget

Waymo has announced that it's received permission from the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) to expand its robotaxi service across more counties in California. The company says the decision will allow it to offer rides in Sacramento and San Diego for the first time, and expand service in the San Francisco Bay Area and Los Angeles. As spotted by Electrek, the CPUC's approval appears to be in response to a letter Waymo filed in January asking for approval on a safety plan so it can offer rides in the expanded service area it announced in November 2025. Waymo received feedback and even at one point had its request suspended, according to the CPUC's page, but the company's announcement suggests those issues have since been resolved and just haven't been publicly recorded yet. Big news for the Golden State -- we have received the CPUC's approval to expand our autonomous ride-hailing service across the SF Bay Area and LA, and bring our service to Sacramento and San Diego.


Shirtless man arrested after police say he climbed, vandalized a Waymo in East Hollywood

Los Angeles Times

Things to Do in L.A. Tap to enable a layout that focuses on the article. One of the self-driving cars was vandalized Sunday at Sunset and Edgemont. See more from the L.A. Times in Google Search. A shirtless man recorded standing atop a Waymo and yanking pieces off the self-driving car was arrested Sunday by Los Angeles police. LAPD officers were called to the intersection of Sunset Boulevard and Edgemont Street at 1:34 p.m. after receiving a call of someone disturbing the peace.


Waymo recalls robotaxis over construction-zone risk

FOX News

Waymo filed a voluntary recall of 3,871 robotaxi vehicles after NHTSA said its software may allow cars to enter closed freeway construction zones and continue driving.


Waymo Recalls Robotaxis Over Risk They'll Drive at Speed Into Freeway Construction Zones

WIRED

The company's latest recall of 3,871 vehicles follows incidents of its autonomous cars "prioritizing other hazards" or failing to recognize closed construction zones altogether. Waymo has filed its fourth safety recall since February 2024, after its driverless cars were caught entering closed freeway-construction zones. The recall, filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) on June 17, appears to affect Waymo's entire US fleet, covering 3,871 vehicles running Waymo's 5th Generation automated driving system (ADS). NHTSA estimates 100 precent of the affected units carry the defect, which is outlined in the filed safety recall report as "under certain circumstances, the AV may enter and drive at speed in freeway-construction zones due to inappropriately prioritizing the avoidance of other freeway hazards and/or failing to recognize the construction zone." Waymo started offering highway rides in late 2025, and the underlying problem appears to be a failure of priority logic.


Waymo recalls over 3,800 robotaxis that might drive onto closed freeways

Engadget

The company is working on a fix and has restricted freeway driving. Waymo is recalling over 3,800 of its self-driving taxis due to a software issue that could cause them to enter closed freeway construction zones at speed, according to a National Highway Traffic Safety Admininstration (NHTSA) bulletin seen by Reuters . The company is reportedly working on a fix and has restricted freeway driving, the NHTSA safety notice states. It's not known if Waymo had an incident that prompted the recall. We identified an area of improvement regarding performance around freeway construction zones, Waymo told Engadget in a statement.


Thief uses Waymo as a getaway car

FOX News

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. Market data provided by Factset . Powered and implemented by FactSet Digital Solutions . Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by LSEG . McDonald's AI drive-thru may take your next order The Father's Day gift that protects your dad from scammers Grandparents are identity theft's biggest payday Do not click fake'account recovery' Amazon email Americans need protection against'warrantless surveillance': Rep Chip Roy Spencer Pratt's use of AI to boost campaign sparks debate China approves world's first commercial brain chip Atlanta residents captured alarming video of dozens of Waymo driverless cars continually circling their quiet neighborhood for hours.


Waymo's monthly membership seems like a bad deal

Engadget

Waymo's monthly membership seems like a bad deal Waymo's monthly membership seems like a bad deal You'll pay way mo' for a lot less compared to the competition. Waymo -- the Alphabet-owned driverless taxi service which has seen a rapid expansion in recent years -- is rolling out a new rewards program today. The service is called Waymo Premier, and it promises priority pickups along with a 10 percent in-app rebate applied to future rides. Subscribers will also get fee-free cancellations, though only up to five a month. Lastly, Premier gives subscribers the chance to be among the first to use Waymo in new cities as the service expands, which is certainly one way to reframe the concept of paying to beta test those new coverage areas.


Welcome to the Waymo World Cup

WIRED

It might not feel all that different from older World Cups--for better or worse. Waymo, the Alphabet subsidiary offering robotaxi rides in 11 US metros right now, says it's ready for the FIFA World Cup . Match attendees can catch driverless rides to six of the 16 North American venues: stadiums in Atlanta, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, and the San Francisco Bay Area. The sprawling football event, expected to attract some 6.5 million visitors to the continent over more than a month, could prove an exciting close-up for Waymo . The company says it's serving half-a-million paid rides a week--paltry stuff compared to the likes of ride-hail giants Uber and Lyft, but more impressive once you remember that the things don't have drivers.