Afghan officials: 100 casualties in Afghanistan attack

Associated Press

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — Authorities on Saturday raised the casualty toll to 100 in an attack on a military compound in northern Afghanistan a day earlier by gunmen and suicide bombers wearing army uniforms.


Afghan Official: Gunmen Attacked Army Base, 100 Casualties

U.S. News

Afghan soldiers stand guard at the gate of a military compound after an attack by gunmen in Mazar-e- Sharif province north of kabul, Afghanistan, Friday, April 21, 2017. Gunmen wearing army uniforms stormed a military compound in the Balkh province, killing at least eight soldiers and wounding 11 others, an Afghan government official said Friday.


Afghan Army Chief, Defense Minister Resign Following Attack

U.S. News

An injured soldier recovers in a hospital after Friday's attack at a military compound in Mazar-e-Sharif province north of Kabul, Afghanistan, Saturday, April 22, 2017. Gunmen wearing army uniforms stormed a military compound in the Balkh province, killing at least eight soldiers and wounding 11 others, an Afghan government official said Friday.


Taliban attacks key military base in north Afghanistan

Al Jazeera

Taliban fighters dressed in military uniforms attacked a key army base in northern Afghanistan on Friday, killing eight soldiers and wounding 11 others. The attack occurred near a mosque on the military base near Mazar-i-Sharif, capital of Balkh province, during Friday prayers, officials said. "Gunmen wearing Afghan army uniforms have launched a complex attack on an army compound in the outskirts of Mazar-i-Sharif," defence ministry spokesman Dawlat Waziri told AFP news agency. "So far we have counted eight dead and 11 wounded, all military, there are no civilian casualties." Waziri said five attackers were killed in the battle, including one wearing a suicide vest who was shot by soldiers before he could trigger his explosives.


Afghanistan massacre: More than 100 feared dead in Taliban attack

FOX News

More than 100 people may be dead, with dozens more hurt, after gunmen disguised as members of the army stormed a military compound in the Balkh province in Afghanistan, officials said Saturday providing updated numbers. The attackers, in two separate military vehicles, had told guards at the gates that they were carrying wounded soldiers and therefore immediately needed to enter the site, according to Reuters. FORMER AFGHAN PRESIDENT: MOAB DROP WAS AN'ATROCITY' The gunmen then entered the compound, manned by members of the 209th Corps of the Afghan National Army, and soon began shooting at soldiers as they prayed in a mosque on the grounds, said a spokesman for the Afghanistan Ministry of Defense. Reports conflicted on the death toll, but at least two sources within the army corps and a provincial security official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak with the media, told The Associated Press more than 130 people were killed and at least 80 others were wounded. The defense ministry had said Friday night that eight soldiers were killed and 11 others were wounded in its initial reports.