The NRA Just Sued Florida for Raising the Minimum Age to Purchase a Gun

Mother Jones

Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president of the National Rifle Association, speaks at the Conservative Political Action Conference.Ron Sachs/CNP via ZUMA Wire It only took a few hours for the NRA to sue Florida officials after Gov. Rick Scott signed a law that raised the minimum age for gun purchases. On Friday, lawyers for the NRA requested an injunction in federal court to stop Florida officials from enforcing the new policy that makes it illegal for those under 21 to purchase firearms, arguing in a complaint that the law is unconstitutional and imposes "a significant, unequal, and impermissible burden on the right to keep and bear arms of a class of millions of law-abiding 18-to-20-year-old adult citizens." The NRA argues that the restriction would put a particular burden on NRA members who are women under 21 because they are less likely to engage in violent crime than older men who can legally purchase firearms. The complaint argues that women "pose a relatively slight risk of perpetrating a school shooting such as the one that occurred at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, or, for that matter, a violent crime of any kind." After Scott signed the legislation, Chris Cov, executive director for the NRA's Institute for Legislative Action, criticized the bill for punishing "law-abiding gun owners for the criminal acts of a deranged individual."


White House backs off call to raise minimum age to buy long guns

FOX News

The Wall Street Journal's Jerry Seib says President Trump's credibility with the NRA puts him in a unique position. The White House announced a series of recommendations Sunday night meant to stop school shootings, including a full audit and review of the FBI tip line after warnings about a student who killed 17 people at a Florida high school last month were not acted upon. The administration did not call for immediately increasing the minimum age for buying long guns to 21, as President Trump had previously advocated. However, it did announce that Education Secretary Betsy DeVos would chair a federal commission on school safety to study the proposal. The recommendations were announced nearly a month after the mass shooting at a high school in Parkland, Fla., in which 17 students and staff were killed.


Some Florida teachers can now carry firearms on school, campuses

FOX News

Fox News Flash top headlines for Oct. 1 are here. Check out what's clicking on Foxnews.com Teachers in certain Florida school districts are now allowed to carry firearms on school grounds due to a controversial state law that came on the heels of a school massacre. The measure stems from a hotly debated new law signed by Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis in May giving districts the option to arm teachers and security guards. The law was passed in response to the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland on Feb. 14, 2018; 17 people were killed in the shooting spree.


Trump's plan will seek to 'harden' schools against shootings and arm some teachers

The Japan Times

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump's plan to combat school shootings will include a call on states to increase the minimum age for purchasing assault weapons and an effort to "harden" schools so they're less vulnerable to attacks. White House spokesman Raj Shah says the president will not advocate "universal" background checks, but will reiterate his support for a bill that would promote better information-sharing. The president will also be convening a task force to further study the issue. "There's going to be a series of proposals," Shah said on ABC's "This Week" in an interview Sunday. "Some will be legislative, some will be administrative and some will be recommendations for states as well as a task force to study this issue in more depth and make more additional policy recommendations.


Gun-maker's motion to dismiss nixed as judge lets Sandy Hook massacre victims suit proceed

The Japan Times

BRIDGEPORT, CONNECTICUT – A lawsuit can go forward against the maker of the rifle used in the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings, a judge ruled Thursday. Superior Court Judge Barbara Bellis said that a 2005 federal law protecting gun-makers from lawsuits does not prevent lawyers for the victims' families from arguing that the semi-automatic rifle is a military weapon and should not have been sold to civilians. Adam Lanza, 20, killed 20 first-grade students and six educators on Dec. 14, 2012, with a Bushmaster XM15-E2S rifle that his mother had bought legally. Lanza killed his mother, Nancy Lanza, at their Newtown home with a different gun before going to the school a few miles away, and then killed himself as police arrived. The families of nine children and adults killed at the Newtown school and a teacher who survived the attack are suing Remington Arms, the parent company of Bushmaster Firearms, which made the weapon used in the school shooting.