The Saudi-led coalition bombed the Houthi rebel-controlled Defence Ministry in Yemen's capital Sanaa, local media reported. Two air strikes targeted the ministry late on Friday and plumes of smoke could be seen billowing from the building, the rebel media network Al Masirah quoted witnesses as saying. One of the missiles hit a residential area near the ministry, wounding at least eight civilians, it said. The casualty toll could rise as rescuers search through the rubble for survivors. The coalition has intensified air strikes in Yemen since the Houthis fired a ballistic missile at the Saudi capital, Riyadh, a week ago.
TAIZ, YEMEN - Day after day Nabil al-Hakimi, a humanitarian official in Taiz, one of Yemen's largest cities, went to work feeling he had a "mountain" on his shoulders. Billions of dollars in food and other foreign aid was coming into his war-ravaged homeland, but millions of Yemenis were still living a step away from famine. Reports of disarray and thievery streamed in to him this spring and summer from around Taiz -- 5,000 sacks of rice doled out without record of where they'd gone . . . Food donations were being snatched from the starving. Documents reviewed by The Associated Press and interviews with al-Hakimi and other officials and aid workers show that thousands of families in Taiz are not getting food aid intended for them -- often because it has been seized by armed units allied with the Saudi-led, American-backed military coalition fighting in Yemen.
An airstrike hit a hospital supported by Doctors Without Borders in northern Yemen on Monday, the international aid group said, killing and wounding an unknown number of people. The group, known by the French acronym MSF, said the strike hit near the Houthi rebel stronghold of Saada, where teams were still attending to the wounded. Yemeni security and medical officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to brief the media, say the strike killed and wounded some 20 of the hospital's staff and patients. The conflict in Yemen pits an internationally-recognized government backed by a Saudi-led coalition against the Shiite rebels, who captured the capital, Sanaa, in September 2014. The Saudi-led coalition has been carrying out airstrikes in Yemen since March 2015.
UNITED NATIONS – A Saudi Arabia-led military coalition was responsible for an "unacceptably high" 51 percent of child deaths and injuries in Yemen last year, according to a draft United Nations report seen by Reuters on Thursday. The draft report on children and armed conflict, which still has to be approved by U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres and is subject to change, blamed the Saudi-led coalition for more than 680 child casualties and three-quarters of the attacks on schools and hospitals in Yemen. "Attacks carried out by air caused over half of all child casualties, with at least 349 killed and 333 injured," the draft report found. The Saudi-led coalition began an air campaign in Yemen in March 2015 to defeat Iran-allied Houthi rebels. It will be up to Guterres to decide whether to return the Saudi-led coalition to a child rights blacklist annexed to the report.