Iran bans hard-line paper for 2 days over threat to Dubai

FOX News

TEHRAN, Iran – A semi-official Iranian news agency says authorities have ordered a two-day ban on hard-line newspaper Kayhan after it ran a headline saying Dubai was the "next target" for Yemen's Houthi rebels. ISNA reported Wednesday that Kayhan has been ordered not to publish on Saturday and Sunday, after it ignored a previous notice from the Tehran prosecutor. Kayhan ran the headline after Yemen's Houthi rebels fired a ballistic missile that was intercepted near the Saudi capital. Iran supports the Houthis but has denied Saudi and U.S. allegations that it has given them missiles and other weapons. Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, home to Dubai, are close allies and have been battling the Houthis since March 2015.


Fighting in central Yemen kills 32

FOX News

SANAA, Yemen – Yemeni security officials say at least 52 people have been killed and 25 injured in two days of fighting in central Yemen between rebels and forces loyal to the internationally recognized government. The officials said Sunday government-allied forces have taken control of several areas previously controlled by the rebels, known as the Houthis, between the central provinces of Marib and Shabwa. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to brief journalists. A truce between the warring parties that began April 10 has largely held despite violations by both sides. The fighting in Yemen pits Shiite Houthi rebels and supporters of a former president against Yemen's internationally recognized government, supported by a Saudi-led, U.S.-backed coalition.


Yemeni officials say government, rebels, agree on ceasefire

U.S. News

Yemeni officials say Shiite rebels and the internationally recognized government have agreed to begin a ceasefire for a week or two before their next round of negotiations. The officials participated in talks Sunday in Sanaa, the capital, between the rebels and U.N. envoy Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed. They say talks are expected to restart next month. The officials said the Shiite rebels, known as Houthis, have agreed to implement a U.N. security council resolution which requires them to hand over weapons and withdraw from territory, including Sanaa. All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to brief reporters.


And What About Yemen?

Slate

Saudi Arabia's disastrous war with rebel tribes in Yemen is 3½ years deep, as is America's support for it. Michael Knights, senior fellow at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, details the kingdom's goals: stopping the missile attacks sailing in from Yemen, restoring the country's ousted leaders, and countering the rebels' biggest ally, Iran.


Yemen rebels vow to fight on after Hudaida airport defeat

Al Jazeera

Yemen's Houthi rebels have vowed to fight on after pro-government forces seized Hudaida airport from them on Wednesday, in a major step towards retaking the port city following a week-long battle. Rebel leader Abdulmalik al-Houthi called for reinforcements to repel the advance of the Saudi and UAE-backed government forces, after ongoing fighting left nearly 350 people dead. "We will face all of the incursions on the ground. Our determination will never be dented," he said via the rebels' Al-Masirah news outlet. Saudi-Emirati coalition forces announced the capture of Hudaida airport on Wednesday morning, a day after breaking through the perimeter fence.