Tehran Rejects Comments From U.S.-Saudi Meeting as 'Nonsense': IRNA

U.S. News

Mattis and Prince Mohammed, who is the kingdom's defense minister, met on Thursday and discussed U.S.-Saudi military cooperation in the fight against Islamic State. A statement issued by the Pentagon said they also discussed tackling "Iran's destabilizing regional activities."


Iran accuses Saudi Arabia for Tehran attacks

Al Jazeera

Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps has accused Saudi Arabia of being behind Wednesday's double attack in the capital Tehran that left at least 12 people dead. The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS) claimed responsibility and released a video purporting to show gunmen inside the parliament building. The elite force vowed in a statement on Wednesday to seek revenge. "The fact that Islamic State has claimed responsibility proves that they were involved in the brutal attack," referring to Saudi Arabia. The statement also said that the "spilled blood of the innocent will not remain unavenged".


Raising Tensions, Iranians Again Link Saudis to Terror Attacks in Tehran

NYT > Middle East

Turning up the heat in an already tense standoff, several Iranian officials on Tuesday renewed accusations against Saudi Arabia, suggesting that the Persian Gulf kingdom was behind last week's twin terror attacks in Tehran. Gen. Mohammed Ali Jafari, the commander in chief of the Revolutionary Guards Corps, told the semiofficial Fars news agency that Iran had "precise information" that Saudi Arabia "has asked terrorists to carry out operations in Iran." He offered no further details. The deputy chief of staff of Iran's armed forces, Brig. Gen. Masoud Jazayeria, a hard-liner, made similar claims against Saudi Arabia, accusing the Saudis of "governmental terrorism."


Iran's Revolutionary Guard Blames Donald Trump's Saudi Arabia Visit For Tehran Terror Attacks

International Business Times

In one of the major terror attacks in Iran, suicide bombers and gunmen attacked the Iranian parliament and Ayatollah Khomeini's mausoleum in Tehran on Wednesday, which killed at least 13 people. The twin attacks were claimed by the Islamic State group, media reports said. A statement, as reported by Financial Times, from Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) linked the attacks to U.S. President Donald Trump's visit last month to Saudi Arabia where he spoke of isolating Iran for fueling "the fires of sectarian conflict and terror." "This terrorist act took place a week after a joint meeting between the U.S. president and head of a reactionary regional country [Saudi Arabia] which has been a constant supporter of terrorism," the statement said. "The fact ISIS claimed responsibility proves that they [Saudi Arabia] were involved in the brutal attack."


Tehran says Saudi coastguard killed Iranian fisherman

Al Jazeera

Saudi coastguard officers have opened fire on Iranian fishing boats in the Gulf, killing a fisherman, according to Iranian media, amid high tensions between the two rival states. "Two Iranian boats that were fishing in the waters of the Persian Gulf were pushed off their course by waves. There was shooting by Saudi border guards ... and one Iranian fisherman was killed," the semi-official Tasnim news agency quoted an interior ministry official as saying about Friday night's incident. "We are pursuing this matter to determine if the Iranian boats had crossed the Saudi border or not, but the action of the Saudis does not comply with humanitarian and navigational principles," said Majid Aqababai, an Iranian border affairs official, according to Tasnim. The IRINN TV news channel also reported the incident, quoting local sources from Boushehr province.