Facebook fails to remove child abuse images and Islamist propaganda and could face criminal prosecution

The Independent - Tech

Facebook could be prosecuted in the UK for failing to remove child abuse images posted to the site despite being made aware of them, according to a new report. "Dozens" of illegal images and videos were allegedly flagged to the social network's moderators by a reporter using a fake profile, according to the Times. The illegal content is said to include a video of an apparent sexual assault on a child, "violently paedophilic cartoons", an "Islamic State beheading" and propaganda posters "glorifying recent terrorist attacks in London and Egypt". However, they reportedly only took some of them down, concluding that the majority didn't breach the site's Community Standards, which states, "We remove content that threatens or promotes sexual violence or exploitation. This includes the sexual exploitation of minors and sexual assault."


Turkish teacher gets 508 years in prison for child abuse

U.S. News

A Turkish court sentenced a teacher Wednesday to centuries behind bars for sexually abusing 10 boys under his care at two religious foundations. The state-run Anadolu Agency said the teacher was sentenced to 508 years and 3 months' imprisonment at the first hearing of a case that traumatized the country and led to accusations of a cover-up. The 54-year-old man, named only as "M.B.," was charged with assaulting the boys, aged between 10 and 12, at boarding homes, one of which was run by a foundation linked to Turkey's ruling party. The country's minister for family affairs, Sema Ramazanoglu, sparked an outcry after she described the assaults as a one-time event and accused opposition parties of trying to besmirch the government-linked foundation. The minister later survived a censure motion in parliament submitted by the opposition, which accused her of negligence in preventing violence against women and children.


Sexual assault suspect arrested while attempting to flee to China: police say

FOX News

A sexual assault suspect was arrested at the Los Angeles International Airport last week while trying to flee to China, police said. Gaoyang "Gary" Li, 20, was taken into custody Friday at the airport, Irvine police said in a statement. Li is suspected of forcing a 16-year-old girl he met on the Chinese dating app "Tan Tan" to perform oral sex on him in September 2018. In January, the girl said Li contacted her again and threatened to post a video of the sexual act on social media and send it to her friends and family unless she gave him money, police said. Li was arrested Feb. 6 on the University of California campus in Irvine on suspicion of sexual assault.


U.N. to investigate war crimes in Yemen

The Japan Times

GENEVA – The U.N. Human Rights Council agreed Friday to send war crimes investigators to Yemen, overcoming resistance from Saudi Arabia, which sought to fend off an independent international probe. In a resolution adopted by consensus, the council mandated U.N. rights chief Zeid Ra'ad al-Hussein to send a group of "eminent experts" to Yemen, where a Saudi-led coalition has been bombing Houthi rebels since March 2015. The group will then "carry out a comprehensive examination of all alleged violations and abuses of international human rights" committed in the conflict and try "to identify those responsible." Launching the probe marks a victory for a group of European states and Canada that pushed hard for an international inquiry fully independent of the Yemeni national investigation, which the Saudis support. The Saudi-led coalition has been accused of bombing schools, markets, hospitals and other civilian targets in support of Yemeni President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi.


How Jamal Khashoggi's Apple Watch Could Solve His Disappearance

WIRED

Saudi dissident and Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi went missing in Turkey last week. The outspoken critic of Saudi Arabia's war on Yemen walked into the Saudi consulate in Istanbul at 1 pm on Tuesday, October 2, to obtain documents for his upcoming wedding. Within two hours, Turkish security officials now say, Khashoggi was dead--assassinated by a team of Saudi agents.