State Department checking 15,000 new Clinton emails gleaned from FBI probe

The Japan Times

WASHINGTON – The State Department is reviewing nearly 15,000 previously undisclosed emails recovered as part of the FBI's now-closed investigation into the handling of sensitive information that flowed through Hillary Clinton's private home server. Lawyers for the department told U.S. District Court Judge James E. Boasberg on Monday that they anticipate processing and releasing the first batch of these new emails in mid-October, raising the prospect that new messages sent or received by the Democratic presidential nominee could become public just before November's election. Boasberg is overseeing production of the emails as part of a federal public-records lawsuit filed by the conservative legal advocacy group Judicial Watch. Representing the State Department, Justice Department lawyer Lisa Olson told the judge that officials do not yet know what portion of the emails is work-related, rather than personal. Clinton, who was secretary of state from 2009 to 2013, had claimed that she deleted only personal emails prior to returning over 55,000 pages of her work-related messages to the State Department last year.


Second State Dept. unit conducted probe into mysterious deletion

FOX News

A second unit within the State Department -- led by its top internal auditor -- conducted a separate probe into the mysterious deletion of a critical exchange about Iran from the department's video of its December 2, 2013 daily press briefing, Fox News has learned. In an email to Fox News Friday afternoon, Doug Welty, a spokesman for the State Department's Office of the Inspector General (OIG), confirmed that investigators there launched their own "preliminary assessment" of the case, including conducting their own interviews with State Department employees and their own review of emails and other documents. Last week, the State Department's Office of the Legal Advisor (OLA), the department's top attorney, released a report that found -- after a three-month investigation that included email and document reviews and interviews with nearly three dozen DOS employees -- that it was impossible to determine whether the deletion was caused by a technical glitch or by willful misconduct. Welty's statement marked the first public confirmation by any officials at the State Department that OIG had been reviewing the case separately from OLA. House Oversight Chairman Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, told Fox News he and his colleagues were "very frustrated" by the investigative efforts of both OLA and OIG, and that they plan, as part of House Republicans' own investigation into the matter, to press both offices for access to their raw investigative files. The first request the lawmakers make will be for voluntary production by the offices.


State Department seeks 27-month delay for release of Clinton Foundation emails - Lynch takes bipartisan heat for private meeting with Bill Clinton

FOX News

The State Department has sought to delay the court-ordered release of emails between four of Hillary Clinton's top aides and officials at the Clinton Foundation and a closely associated public relations firm. The motion, filed in federal court by the Justice Department late Wednesday, seeks to put off the release of the emails by 27 months. It was first reported on by The Daily Caller. In the filing, the State Department says it originally estimated that approximately 6,000 emails and other documents were exchanged between the aides -- identified as former Deputy Assistant Secretary of State Michael Fuchs, former Ambassador-At-Large Melanne Verveer, Chief of Staff Cheryl Mills, and Deputy Chief of Staff Huma Abedin -- and the Clinton Foundation and Teneo Holdings, a communications shop that former President Bill Clinton helped launch. However, the State Department said that due to errors in the initial document search, the number of "potentially responsive documents" was in fact more than 34,000.


In its first bust, West Covina police dog finds 60 pounds of meth in car

Los Angeles Times

Rye, the West Covina Police Department's newest K9, is pictured with approximately 60 pounds of methamphetamine found during a traffic stop over the weekend. Rye, the West Covina Police Department's newest K9, is pictured with approximately 60 pounds of methamphetamine found during a traffic stop over the weekend. The newest K9 cop at the West Covina Police Department made its first bust over the weekend, sniffing out 60 pounds of methamphetamine stuffed under the seats of a Nissan Rogue. On Saturday, officers conducted a traffic stop on the silver 2010 Rogue near Vincent Avenue and the 10 Freeway. During the stop, officers found methamphetamine under the driver's seat of the vehicle and detained the driver.


A veteran lieutenant announces candidacy for L.A. County sheriff, the first to challenge Jim McDonnell

Los Angeles Times

Three years ago, candidates for Los Angeles County sheriff jostled over who had the best claim to be the type of "outsider" who could clean up a department mired in jail abuse and corruption scandals. Alex Villanueva says it's time to flaunt being an insider again. Standing next to the East Los Angeles station where he once served as a young deputy, Villanueva, now a lieutenant, said Wednesday that his three-decade tenure with the agency gives him the insight needed to improve the department. He is the first to challenge incumbent Jim McDonnell in next year's election. McDonnell, who had served as Long Beach police chief after a long career with the Los Angeles Police Department, was the first outsider in a century to win the sheriff's job in 2014.