Following a spate of suicides and murders that were streamed or hosted on Facebook for hours before they were taken down, Mark Zuckerberg has announced that the company will be hiring an additional 3,000 people to its global community operations team over the next year. That will bring the total size of the department to 7,500, and the manpower will be dedicated to reviewing "the millions of reports we get every week, and improv(ing) the process for doing it quickly." Zuckerberg wrote that these reviewers will "help us get better at removing things we don't allow on Facebook like hate speech and child exploitation," and that the social network will continue working with law enforcement and local community groups who "are in the best position to help someone if they need it." In addition, Facebook will make it simpler for members to report problems and speed up the process for its reviewers to determine which posts violate community standards. The company previously opened up access to its suicide-prevention tools to all its users, and developed an AI system to identify potentially suicidal people.
Given recent live streamed murders and suicides, Facebook plans to hire another 3,000 people to review live videos. Josh King has the story (@abridgetoland). A link has been sent to your friend's email address. Given recent live streamed murders and suicides, Facebook plans to hire another 3,000 people to review live videos. Josh King has the story (@abridgetoland).
JACKSON, MICHIGAN – A Michigan man convicted of murder after he was accused of breaking into a home and shooting a woman while livestreaming the attack on Facebook has been sentenced to life in prison without parole. Twenty-year-old Anthony Gelia was given the mandatory punishment Wednesday. He was convicted in March of first-degree murder and other charges stemming from the November 2016 killing of 26-year-old Brittany Southwell. Jurors watched a Facebook Live recording recovered from Gelia's cellphone showing him kicking in a door and opening fire. Gelia says he didn't mean to hurt anyone.
The Wayne County prosecutor's office says 18-year-old Dawone Cook entered his plea Wednesday to a charge of careless discharge of a firearm causing death. Prosecutors have said the men were posting live video on Instagram on April 2 when Cook shot Dylan Hemphill in the head with a rifle in a northwest Detroit home. Police have said the two were showing off weapons and money in the video. Hemphill was pronounced dead at the scene. Cook's sentencing is scheduled for July 18.