Turnbull confirms Solomon Islands subsea cable

ZDNet

Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has confirmed that a telecommunications subsea cable between the Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea, and Australia will go live at the end of 2019. In a joint statement with Solomon Islands Prime Minister Rick Houenipwela, Turnbull said the Australian government will be providing the "majority" of the funding for the project, which will have landing points in Port Moresby and Honiara. "Today we affirm our commitment to deliver a high-speed undersea telecommunication cable between Australia and Solomon Islands," Turnbull and Houenipwela said. "The joint project will be a first for Solomon Islands, which is wholly reliant on satellite technology to access the internet." The project will enable Solomon Islands to improve security and boost economic growth, they added, but said the increased connectivity for Pacific Island nations would expose them to more cybersecurity risks.


Google Maps will now show you where to rent the nearest Lime scooter or bike in your city

Daily Mail - Science & tech

Finding a Lime scooter or bike in your city is now as easy as opening up Google Maps. Google said on Thursday that it's teaming up with the scooter and bike service to include them as transportation options in the app. Now, if you're close to your destination but it's still too far to walk, Google will give you the option to rent a Lime scooter or bike nearby. Finding a Lime scooter or bike in your city is now as easy as opening up Google Maps. The new feature is rolling out to day in 13 cities, including Los Angeles, Austin, Auckland, New Zealand and Brisbane, Australia, among others.


MacTel deploying SD-WAN services for aged care organisation

ZDNet

Macquarie Telecom has announced being chosen to deploy software-defined wide area networking (SD-WAN) services for Hall & Prior Aged Care in a bid to make it easier for the organisation to develop, deploy, and maintain digital services. The SD-WAN service will allow for new audio and video conferencing solutions across the aged care provider's facilities in New South Wales and Western Australia, which Macquarie Telecom said would enable the company to "communicate more effectively and trial extra services to care recipients". Of Hall & Prior's 25 nursing homes and two home care services, 80 percent have been transitioned to SD-WAN services, with the remaining 20 percent either under way or awaiting National Broadband Network (NBN) connectivity. "Digital voice and video services are the way of the future in our industry. We needed a platform that enabled us to deploy these services in a way that was reliable, secure, and benefited our care providers and recipients," Hall & Prior Aged Care ICT infrastructure manager Dan Beeston said.


Telstra triple zero outage caused by fibre fire damage

ZDNet

Telstra has confirmed that it is currently undertaking fibre repairs near Orange, New South Wales, to bring Triple Zero emergency services back up. We're working to restore services ASAP and are sorry for service interruptions. According to the telco, intermittent mobile voice connection interruptions across NSW, Victoria, South Australia, and Queensland had occurred since 2.05am on Friday due to a cable cut between Orange and Bowral. Routers were then restored at 4.50am, with Telstra saying mobile voice services had returned to normal; however, it said Triple Zero calls are still experiencing "intermittent interruptions". "Update: There are still intermittent interruptions to 000 calls in NSW, VIC & WA following the cable cut in NSW earlier today.


Telstra outage caused 1,400 Triple Zero calls to fail: ACMA

ZDNet

An Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) investigation into Triple Zero emergency call services has found that Telstra breached the rule to ensure all 000 calls on its network are carried to emergency call operators. According to the ACMA, Telstra failed to deliver 1,433 calls to the emergency service operator on May 4 due to a network outage, breaching s22 of the Telecommunications (Emergency Call Service) Determination 2009 and the Telecommunications (Consumer Protection and Service Standards) Act 1999. The outage had been caused by fire damage to fibre cables, causing mobile voice connection interruptions across New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, and Queensland for a period of around nine hours. The Department of Communications added that on May 26, "an unusual volume of calls were unintentionally directed from another carrier's network to Triple Zero, causing congestion". Calling the outage "complex and unprecedented", Telstra executive director of Regulatory Affairs Jane van Beelen said in a blog post on Monday that the telco carried out its own investigation too.