Telstra has announced the launch of Telstra Mail, a revamped email system for home broadband customers currently using BigPond or Telstra.com Telstra Mail will allow for 10GB of mailbox storage -- double the capacity of Telstra's current Outlook-based email services -- and is available on Windows, Mac, and all mobile devices and tablets. It will also have "advanced" spam filtering and security settings, Telstra said. Customers will be migrated onto the new service over the next few months, and will experience only a "minor interruption" in services as they are transitioned over to the new email system. "New Telstra customers can receive a free Telstra Mail service as part of their home broadband plan, and in the coming months we will be moving all our existing BigPond and Telstra.com
Telstra CEO Andy Penn said on Monday the telco intends to have 75% of the population covered by its 5G footprint by June 2021. "Our 5G network already covers around one-third of the population," Penn said. "Telstra's 5G is already rolling out in 53 cities and regional towns across Australia and more than 10 million Australians now live, work or pass through our 5G network footprint every day." The CEO tied the new goal to the company's coronavirus response that saw Telstra bring forward AU$500 million of capital expenditure slated for the second half of the next fiscal year into the calendar 2020 year. "This capital will be deployed to increase capacity in our network, including further accelerating the rollout of 5G and injecting much needed investment into the economy at this time," Telstra said in March.
An Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) investigation into Triple Zero emergency call services has found that Telstra breached the rule to ensure all 000 calls on its network are carried to emergency call operators. According to the ACMA, Telstra failed to deliver 1,433 calls to the emergency service operator on May 4 due to a network outage, breaching s22 of the Telecommunications (Emergency Call Service) Determination 2009 and the Telecommunications (Consumer Protection and Service Standards) Act 1999. The outage had been caused by fire damage to fibre cables, causing mobile voice connection interruptions across New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, and Queensland for a period of around nine hours. The Department of Communications added that on May 26, "an unusual volume of calls were unintentionally directed from another carrier's network to Triple Zero, causing congestion". Calling the outage "complex and unprecedented", Telstra executive director of Regulatory Affairs Jane van Beelen said in a blog post on Monday that the telco carried out its own investigation too.