The Yemeni government has agreed to resume peace talks in Kuwait after Qatari diplomacy succeeded in convincing President Abd-Rabbu Mansur Hadi to get back to the negotiating table. Yemeni Foreign Minister Abdul-Malik al-Mekhlafi said on Saturday that the Yemeni government will give the peace talks one last chance after receiving regional and international guarantees. Last Tuesday, the Yemeni government delegation walked out of talks in Kuwait saying rebels insist on violating UN resolutions. The UN resolution demands rebels to withdraw their troops from areas under their control, including the capital Sanaa, release political prisoners and hand over state institutions to the Hadi government, which was forced out by the rebels. The decision on Saturday came after President Hadi held talks with Qatari Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani, and UN secretary General Ban Ki-moon in Doha.
CAIRO – The leader of Yemen's Shiite rebels has lashed out at the United States, accusing it of fomenting the war in his country through a Saudi-led coalition and even going so far as to claim that U.S.-ally Israel is participating in attacks in Yemen. Abdel-Malek al-Houthi's remarks were published Friday in a front-page interview with the Lebanese daily Al-Akhbar, along with a photo of him dressed in a traditional Yemeni robe with a dagger worn on a belt. Al-Houthi alleges the U.S. saw the war in Yemen "as a golden opportunity to seek control" of the region. He says Saud Arabia and the United Arab Emirates -- two top nations in the coalition against his rebels, known as Houthis -- wouldn't have "entered the war ... without American desire and supervision."
The attacks underscore how the Shiite rebels, known as Houthis, continue to retain a range of potentially lethal and disruptive ways to hit the kingdom, despite more than three years of devastating Saudi airstrikes on Yemen to try and roll back Houthi control of the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, and other northern strongholds.
SANAA – A top leader of Yemen's Houthi rebels has called for an investigation after The Associated Press found evidence of extreme torture in Houthi-run lockups. Thousands have been imprisoned by the Houthi militia during Yemen's civil war. An AP investigation found some detainees were scorched with acid, forced to hang from their wrists for weeks at a time or had their faces smashed with batons. Mohammed Ali al-Houthi, head of the Supreme Revolutionary Council, said Sunday that authorities should examine the AP report. He says they should "deal with any of the incidents, if proven correct, in accordance with Yemeni law, (and act) against any of the people who committed them."