Iran will invite foreign companies to bid for oil and gas projects for the first time since last year's landmark nuclear deal with world powers, the country's Ministry of Petroleum said Sunday. The ministry did not say how many projects would be involved but said they include exploration and production in oil and gas fields, with the bidding process opening on Monday. It will be the first time Iran offers an international tender for oil and gas projects since the nuclear deal went into effect in January. The ministry's website said foreign companies should submit their applications by Nov. 19 and that successful companies would be announced on Dec. 7. Iran had previously said that priority for exploration and production for foreign companies would be given to neighboring countries with which it shares border fields.
Ali Motahari, the vice chairman of the Islamic Consultative Assembly of Iran, in his interview with Sputnik News, said Iran won't accept a new nuclear agreement. Motahari said Iran will not consider changes in The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), which is the agreement that determines Iran's nuclear activity. "Iran considers the negotiation process to be completed and will not accept any changes or amendments to JCPOA or conclude a new agreement. We are working exclusively on the basis of the JCPOA," he said. Motahari also spoke about collaboration of Iranian and European companies if the U.S. exits the Iranian deal.
We are in an unprecedented situation with potentially dangerous consequences. That's the view of the BBC's diplomatic correspondent, Jonathan Marcus, after Donald Trump withdrew the US from the Iran nuclear deal, calling it "decaying and rotten". Just how dangerous depends on how Tehran reacts and whether the moderates in that country can win out, Jonathan adds, pointing out that even those who agree with Mr Trump are wondering where is the Plan B? How is Iran now to be contained? Western powers say the deal - here are they key details of it - had made the world a safer place, curbing Tehran's efforts to acquire weapons in return for removing sanctions. The UK, France and Germany tried and failed to persuade Mr Trump to stick with it, but Theresa May, Emmanuel Macron and Angela Merkel say they remain committed to the deal.