DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES - Saudi Arabia's special forces captured the leader of the Islamic State's branch in Yemen during a raid on a house that was under surveillance, a Saudi military statement said Tuesday, dealing a blow to the extremist group, which has taken advantage of the country's turmoil to launch devastating attacks. The IS group, like al-Qaida, expanded and recruited amid Yemen's civil war to further its reach in the southern tip of the Arabian Peninsula. A spokesman for the Saudi-led coalition at war in Yemen, Col. Turki al-Maliki, said the June 3 operation that led to the arrest of Yemen's IS leader, known by his moniker as Abu Osama Al-Muhajir, lasted just 10 minutes. Also captured in the raid was the group's chief financial operator in Yemen and other suspects who were not named, the statement said. The statement did not say where the men are now being held or where in Yemen the raid occurred.
This is a translation of an analysis on Yemen published in cooperation with the Al Jazeera Studies Center. Yemen's southern governorates are currently witnessing political and security unrest after Aden's sacked governor, Aidarous al-Zubaidi, announced the formation of a transitional council for that region. This development was viewed by many analysts as a new step towards the process of separating south Yemen from its north. Such a move is not new in southern Yemen. The Southern Movement, also known as al-Hirak al-Janoubi, calls for the separation of southern Yemen.
Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what's clicking on Foxnews.com. Thousands of Americans remain stranded in the war-torn nation of Yemen after coronavirus restrictions closed the borders in mid-March, activist are now calling attention to the severity of the problem. According to Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), thousands of Americans have been stranded in Yemen after borders and airports closed due to the coronavirus pandemic, as was first reported by The Hill Friday. Ahmed Mohamed, litigation director for CAIR, told Fox News Friday that the organization has received over 500 requests of assistance from Americans stuck in Yemen, and the State Department has received over 2,000.
For the first time in the country's history, Yemen has entered a film into the Academy Awards competition in the category of best foreign language film. It was announced last week that the dramatic feature film, I Am Nojoom: Age 10 And Divorced, would be among 85 entries vying for the Oscar. "I was happy to hear the news, even though I have no expectations whatsoever," director Khadija al-Salami told Al Jazeera over the phone from Canada, where she was promoting the film. "It is a tough competition, but let's hope this news at least gives war-torn Yemen some positivity and encourages young Yemeni filmmakers to dream big." Shot in 2013, prior to the ongoing war in Yemen, and released in 2014, I Am Nojoom is Salami's debut drama feature film.
Health workers conducted a house-to-house vaccination campaign in Sanaa, Yemen, on Feb. 20. Health workers recently fanned across Yemen to vaccinate millions of children against polio, one of the disease risks in a country immersed in conflict. In Yemen, forces loyal to the internationally backed Yemeni government are battling Houthi rebels and their supporters. The conflict is making the already poor country even more vulnerable to infectious diseases with overcrowding in areas and breakdowns in the health system. "In the last two years, more children have died from preventable diseases than those killed in the violence," said UNICEF Representative in Yemen Meritxell Relano.