Goto

Collaborating Authors

Biden limits drone strikes outside war zones, rolling back Trump policy

FOX News

General Jack Keane, Fox News senior strategic analyst, reacts to the decision on'Fox & amp; Friends.' The Biden administration has ordered temporary limits on drone strikes outside war zones, rolling back a Trump-era policy, as President Biden reviews "legal and policy frameworks governing these matters," the National Security Council told Fox News. National Security Council spokeswoman Emily Horne, in a statement to Fox News, said that at the beginning of the Biden administration the president "established new interim guidance concerning the United States' use of military force and related national security operations." "The purpose of the interim guidance is to ensure the President has full visibility on proposed significant actions into these areas while the National Security Council staff lead a thorough interagency review of the extant authorizations and delegations of Presidential authority with respect to these matters," Horne said. Horne told Fox News that Biden's review "is now underway and will include an examination of the legal and policy frameworks governing these matters."


The Forever War Won't End Until Congress Ends It

Slate

With a few notable exceptions and caveats, President Joe Biden has been keeping his campaign promise to wind down America's "forever wars"--the open-ended counterterrorist campaign the U.S. has been fighting around the globe for the past 20 years. Most dramatically, Biden announced the withdrawal of the last U.S. troops from Afghanistan by Sept. 11. While this is a somewhat slower timeline than the May 1 withdrawal originally agreed to by Donald Trump, it nonetheless will represent the end of America's longest war, and the announcement showed Biden's determination to act despite some significant political, military, and humanitarian risks. But the war in Afghanistan was always more--and less--than a failed attempt to create and stabilize a friendly regime in the country. Legally and strategically, Afghanistan was meant to be the center of the U.S. military response to al-Qaida.


What America Will Leave Behind in Afghanistan

Slate

On the one hand, President Biden's decision to withdraw all U.S. troops from Afghanistan by Sept. 11 of this year makes perfect sense. Troops were sent there 20 years ago to root out al-Qaida, which had killed 3,000 Americans in the attack on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. That objective was met 10 years ago. Since then, U.S. troops have tried to help the Afghan government build a civil society and help the Afghan military stave off the Taliban. It's gone on long enough.


Trump Pulls the Plug on His Own Ill-Conceived War in Somalia

Slate

Friday's news that President Donald Trump has ordered the withdrawal of nearly all the 700 U.S. troops based in Somalia has gotten very little attention, in part because few people even knew there was a military operation in Somalia in the first place. This is unfortunate, as the Somalia operation is a textbook example of the dilemma created by the ever-expanding U.S. war on terrorism. The announcement comes amid a larger push by the Trump administration to bring troops home from conflicts including Iraq and Afghanistan in its final weeks. But while Trump may portray himself as a foe of the "forever wars" battling the foreign policy consensus in Washington, it was his administration that dramatically escalated U.S. involvement in Somalia, and after four years has very little to show for it. The first U.S. airstrikes conducted in Somalia under the war on terror took place under the George W. Bush administration in 2007.


Hillary Clinton signals break from Biden over US troop withdrawal from Afghanistan: report

FOX News

Fox Nation's Joey Jones reacts as former secretaries of state express hesitancy Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has reportedly expressed concerns over President Biden's plan to withdraw U.S. troops from Afghanistan by Sept. 11. Speaking during a Zoom call this week with the House Foreign Affairs Committee, former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice echoed Clinton's concerns, adding that she believed the U.S. may need to go back, according to Axios. Biden announced plans earlier this month to withdraw the remaining 2,500 troops from the Middle Eastern nation where the U.S. has been at war for nearly 20 years. That pushes back former President Trump's plan to complete the withdrawal by May 1, but still drew backlash from both parties -- and now former Cabinet members from both the Obama and Bush administrations. When asked about Afghanistan policy, a spokesperson for Rice said the former secretary is not taking media requests at this time.