Goto

Collaborating Authors

Fighting in central Yemen kills 32

FOX News

SANAA, Yemen – Yemeni security officials say at least 52 people have been killed and 25 injured in two days of fighting in central Yemen between rebels and forces loyal to the internationally recognized government. The officials said Sunday government-allied forces have taken control of several areas previously controlled by the rebels, known as the Houthis, between the central provinces of Marib and Shabwa. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to brief journalists. A truce between the warring parties that began April 10 has largely held despite violations by both sides. The fighting in Yemen pits Shiite Houthi rebels and supporters of a former president against Yemen's internationally recognized government, supported by a Saudi-led, U.S.-backed coalition.


ISIS suicide attack kills at least 45 pro-government troops in Yemen

FOX News

SANAA, Yemen – A suicide car bombing claimed by the Islamic State (ISIS) group in Yemen's southern city of Aden on Monday killed at least 45 pro-government troops who had been preparing to travel to Saudi Arabia to fight Houthi rebels in Yemen's north, officials said. The men were at a staging area near two schools and a mosque where they were registering to join the expedition. The Saudis hope to train up to 5,000 fighters and deploy them to the Saudi cities of Najran and Jizan, near the border, Yemeni security officials said. Over 60 wounded were being taken to three area hospitals, they added. Aid group Doctors Without Borders reported on social media that their hospital in Aden had received 45 dead, while the Yemeni officials earlier put the figure at 25 but said it was likely to rise.


The Latest: Former Yemeni president said to have been killed

FOX News

Yemen's Houthi rebels say former President Ali Abdullah Saleh, who ruled the country for more than three decades and played a pivotal role in the country's ongoing civil war, has been killed. The Houthi-run Masirah TV announced the death of the "leader of the traitors" on Monday, referring to Saleh, who until last week was in a fragile alliance with the rebels. It gave no further details. A senior official with Yemen's internationally-recognized government confirmed to The Associated Press that Saleh had been killed. He sent a video purportedly showing Saleh's body being carried away by a group of armed men chanting, "God is Great."


UN: Yemen fighting displaced tens of thousands more people

PBS NewsHour

People walk on the rubble of a house destroyed by a Saudi-led air strike in Sanaa, Yemen on Feb. 2. Photo by Mohamed al-Sayaghi/Reuters SANAA, Yemen -- The United Nations refugee agency said Friday that tens of thousands of people have been displaced amid the latest escalation of fighting along Yemen's western coastline. The stark warning came as the leader of Yemen's Shiite rebels announced that his forces have built drones and missiles that will be used against the Saudi-led coalition and would target the Saudi capital. Yemen has been in the grip of a civil war since 2014, when Shiite Houthi rebels and their allies swept down from the country's north and captured the capital, Sanaa. A Saudi-led coalition has waged a blistering air campaign since March 2015, seeking to dislodge the Houthis and restore the internationally recognized government. The conflict is made even more complex because an al-Qaida branch and its rival, the Islamic State affiliate, have exploited the chaos and grown in number and power.


Saudi-led coalition says it will adhere to Yemen cease-fire

U.S. News

The Saudi-led coalition that has been bombing Yemen's Houthi rebels for more than a year said it will adhere to a cease-fire that took effect just before midnight Sunday, and the rebels also pledged to halt hostilities. The coalition said in a statement carried by the official Saudi Press Agency that it retains the right to respond to any violations of the cease-fire, but that it intends to halt all airstrikes and hostilities in preparation for U.N.-sponsored peace talks scheduled to take place in Kuwait on April 18. The Houthis later issued their own statement in which they promised to abide by the cease-fire while reserving the right to respond to any potential violations. There have been previous rounds of cease-fires between the warring sides. This latest attempt, announced by the U.N. envoy to Yemen last month, is scheduled to begin at 11:59 p.m. (2059 GMT) Sunday.