Collaborating Authors

Protest Against Kenya's Election Oversight Body Turns Violent [VIDEO]

International Business Times

NAIROBI (Reuters) - Kenyan police fired tear gas and water cannon on Monday at stone-throwing crowds protesting in central Nairobi against an election oversight body they say is biased and should be scrapped, Reuters witnesses reported. Officers armed with batons confronted hundreds of protesters outside the offices of the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC), the third clash over the issue in less than a month. The opposition leader said more protests would follow. Kenya does not hold its next presidential and parliamentary polls until August 2017, but politicians are already trying to galvanise their supporters in a nation where violence erupted after the 2007 vote and the opposition disputed the 2013 result. The opposition CORD coalition, led by Raila Odinga who lost the 2013 vote and unsuccessfully challenged the result in court, has accused the IEBC of bias and said its members should quit.

Horrifying images on social media fuel tension after Kenya's disputed election, but not all are real

Los Angeles Times

As protests erupted after Kenya's disputed presidential election, horrifying photographs and videos flashed across social media: a boy terrified by riot police in a Nairobi slum, a vehicle in flames and a bloodied man with a military boot on his neck. Some of the images were genuine, but others failed a basic check: a reverse image search on Google. The terrified boy was photographed in 2008 during ethnic violence that swept across the country after another disputed election in 2007, killing an estimated 1,500 people. The man with the military boot on his neck was stabbed and killed by soldiers in the Central African Republic in 2014. And there have been no credible reports of protesters attacking and burning vehicles in recent days.

Kenya president says election re-run must be held as planned this week, despite doubts of credibility

The Japan Times

NAIROBI – Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta said the re-run of the presidential election must go ahead as planned on Thursday, despite the chief electoral officer's recent statement that he cannot guarantee that the polls would be credible. Kenyatta met Monday with electoral commission chief Wafula Chebukati and said the commission has a responsibility to conduct the election, Kenya's Daily Nation newspaper reported. "We have made funds available for the IEBC (the electoral commission) to do its job. Now they really should deliver," Kenyatta said following the meeting, according to the newspaper. Kenyatta also addressed campaign supporters, saying that the elections must go ahead despite a boycott by the main opposition candidate, divisions within the country and disagreements within the electoral commission.

Uhuru Kenyatta wins Kenya presidential election

Al Jazeera

Nairobi, Kenya - Incumbent President Uhuru Kenyatta has been declared winner of Kenya's presidential election amid allegations of voting fraud by the opposition. According to official figures released by the country's electoral commission on Friday, the incumbent secured 54.27 percent of the ballots cast, while his rival, Raila Odinga, won 44.74 percent. With Kenyatta receiving more than 50 percent of the votes, he will not be forced into a second round of voting. The winner is also required to get 25 percent of the votes of at least half of all 47 counties to avoid a runoff. READ MORE: Why are Kenya's elections so bitterly contested?

Clashes and violence continue after Kenya's disputed repeat presidential election

Los Angeles Times

Kenya's election commission on Friday abandoned an effort to hold presidential election votes in four counties in the western part of the country, as clashes continued between protesters and police in opposition strongholds after Thursday's chaotic repeat presidential election. The new election was held after the Supreme Court annulled the Aug. 8 presidential election due to irregularities. On Thursday, the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission postponed voting in four western Kenya counties -- Kisumu, Migori, Homa Bay and Siaya -- until Saturday because of violence. But the commission Friday suspended the vote indefinitely, saying the lives of electoral staff would be in danger. The decision came after warnings from opposition and church leaders that going ahead would only trigger more violence.