5 Indicators That Show You're Not Working In An AI Company

#artificialintelligence

The excitement is completely different when you get to work for a company that deals with artificial intelligence and products related to AI. However, the reality is quite very different. There are chances that, under the hood lies a fact that the company your working in is not a core AI company. In order to help you all figure out whether you are working in a core AI company, Analytics India Magazine lists down some points to look for in a company that promises to deliver the best-of-breed AI services and products. It is always intriguing to have a boardroom brainstorming about AI innovations.


Artificial intelligence drives new thinking on patent rights Lexology

#artificialintelligence

A new paradigm will shake up the IP landscape, as cognitive activities once performed by humans will now increasingly be performed by machines. Artificial intelligence and machine learning (collectively AI) are hot topics in almost every industry, affecting everything from robotics, autonomous vehicles, and consumer devices to health and pharmaceutical technologies. AI is being used to solve complex problems and improve decision making, as well as to develop new products and processes. AI systems utilize algorithms that enable those systems to learn and develop through the analysis of information they are provided, oftentimes without human intervention or instruction. U.S. Patent Law defines the inventor as "the individual or, if a joint invention, the individuals collectively who invented or discovered the subject matter of the invention."


From Virgin to Tesla: why companies go cool on public ownership

The Guardian

Elon Musk's announcement that he was considering taking Tesla off the stock market should not have been a total surprise. If Musk goes through with his plan he will join a long line of entrepreneurs who have floated their businesses only to become frustrated by the demands of running a public company. Virgin's Richard Branson, Hugh Hefner of Playboy and Michael Dell of the computer maker have all taken their companies private in the belief that they would fare better out of the glare of the markets. Other well-known brands taken private by founders after a spell as a public company include Iceland, Caffè Nero and Matalan – but Tesla is of a completely different scale and would require Musk raising tens of billions of dollars in funding. A public company is just that – owned by external investors – mainly through pension and other investment funds that buy shares.


Kaspersky Labs employees approached by FBI investigators

Boston Herald

Employees of Kaspersky Labs, a Russian cyber-security company with U.S. headquarters in Woburn, have been approached by federal investigators, the company confirmed today. "We can confirm that they have," Kaspersky Labs spokeswoman Jessica Bettencourt said when asked if workers have reported being approached by FBI agents. The company, founded by a former Russian intelligence agent, has been under increased scrutiny, as intelligence experts have raised concerns the company's popular anti-virus software could be used to spy on Americans. "As a private company, Kaspersky Lab has no ties to any government, and the company has never helped, nor will help, any government in the world with its cyberespionage efforts," the company said in a statement today. "Kaspersky Lab believes it is completely unacceptable that the company is being unjustly accused without any hard evidence to back up these false allegations.


what-jimmy-haslams-net-worth-warren-buffet-invests-pilot-flying-j-2596793

International Business Times

Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway Inc (NYSE: BRK-A) will be buying a majority stake in Jimmy Haslam's rest stop company Pilot Flying J, or Pilot Travel Centers LLC, the company's announced Tuesday. Berkshire Hathaway will acquire a 38.6 percent equity stake now, and then will acquire a majority stake in 2023. FJ Management Inc. will retain 11.3 percent ownership until 2023. Berkshire Hathaway will acquire an additional 41.4 percent equity stake in 2023, giving it 80 percent ownership of the company, leaving the remaining 20 percent owned by the Haslam family.