President Trump has, for now, given up on balancing the federal budget in the next ten years – and Congress is to blame, his budget director said Monday, according to the Wall Street Journal. Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney told reporters that legislators "didn't make any of the large structural changes" he said last year were needed if the administration were to have a chance of reining in the federal deficit. At his confirmation hearing in January 2017, Mulvaney called for "fundamental changes" in the way "Washington spends and taxes." Instead of following his advice, Mulvaney said Monday, Congress "pounded the hell out of me." Unlike last year's budget plan, the fiscal 2019 blueprint unveiled by the Trump administration on Monday does not seek to balance the budget over the next decade.
Feb-13-2018, 11:23:03 GMT